Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mum's advice and an unforgettable 'Thank you'

This entry to my blog has come as a result of my procrastination coming to an end, at least for the time being. My mother told me something yesterday which got me thinking; she said “you must find a girl before all the good ones are taken”. I didn’t want to sound rhetorical and say ‘good girls’ are becoming extinct over here. To a certain extent there is an ounce of truth in what I say because its challenging to find these girls. I wonder if all the ‘good girls’ have formed a club and are in hiding, away from being visible to guys like us. Since the fasting month ended most Muslims are getting married at a rate. This month alone, I have attended 1 wedding, and 2 more to go both falling on the same day. That’s the calendar as of today, which may likely change in the coming days.



Another friend from school got married last week making the wedding a reunion of sorts because I met some batch mates after nearly 7 years. That wedding was a nice chance to catch up on old times and recall our immature decisions while we were in school. People have moved on to better things and each one is trying to do something with his life.



In my earlier post, I mentioned about this girl I met at a wedding. But after some research, analysis and help from her cousin, things didn’t look like it would work out in my favour. Then I blamed myself for stepping out of my self-imposed policy of not pursuing women. It just doesn’t seem to work out when I actively get involved to get a woman. I did experience a phase where a woman liked me, and even gifted me a tie for my birthday; then to realize one day I have been removed from her Facebook friends’ list. The only thing I could think at that moment was who would do a thing like that?!? It simply goes against a rational thought process existing within all humans. I didn’t go to add her back as a friend, instead minded my own business. I don’t know the reason why she did that to me since I was nice to her throughout, but I suppose these things are better left alone.



Bottom line- I’m attracted to ‘not like other women’ or those slightly beyond my league, and attractive to complex and complicated women.



That previous introspection sums up volumes about my past and current social status. Therefore, I have decided to take a passive stance regarding this topic. No more pursuing, no more showing of interest towards the opposite gender, no more being distracted- but all this is easier said than done!! I just hope things would be easier for me to follow my own policy.



Leaving that aside, I have some good news to state on my community service activities. I was able to recommend 3 students for scholarships to my second home- Malaysia. It was a really tough task finding students who met the criteria. The scholarships were primarily for those who could not afford higher education due to financial constraints. From 46 students who sat for an English placement test 10 were chosen, out of which 3 of them having been nominated by me. I say, compared to the overall selection I have done pretty well to get a sizeable percentage from the final selection. But more has to done in order to help the needy. Also, this year for Zakath Fitra, we managed to distribute the largest amount of packs- 30 in total. We were able to more than double the amount of packs given last year.



I was really touched when one of the boys who got the scholarship came home to thank me. I had never before felt so lifted by a simple “thank you” in my life. I think it was mainly because his gratitude came from the heart, and for me to feel it spread through my soul is the belief of not expecting gratitude for what I did. I firmly believe education with the right kind of exposure can change perceptions, perspectives, attitudes and even a person’s life, as it has mine. It only begs an opportunity to anyone who wants to change their lives; and I want to be that person who will be able to provide that opportunity.



In other news, people have begun to ask me when I will be getting married. This series of questions have been accelerating for some time now, and don’t know for how long I can act a little dodgy. For the time being a coy smile does it with some words like “not yet” or “still working on it”. But don’t you hate it when some people become insistent and want to solve it for you?!?



So, to all the good girls out there, pleases put your hands up!!

4 comments:

nidheesh said...

nive..............

prabalthakur said...

randomly hit your blog.. and found you almost think like me in terms of romance..have a nice day.. :)

Anonymous said...

@Prabal from lonersmemoir

I have changed to wordpress.. pls find my link below
http://lonersmemoir.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

randomly hit your blog.. and found you almost think like me in terms of romance.Written in a good way Car Rental Delhi