Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A taste of home

Many a time one goes back home in ways thought, in person, by the illustrations of another coming from home, or in a dream. Every time I go back home nothing is like as before. Change has descended upon every aspect of life and entombed ways of the past. Many a things have I missed during my stay away from the isle in the Indian Ocean. Bonds that were earlier strong and concrete have been withered away by time. The ones who were very close to me now appear to be a distant. They are like the stars at night, beautiful and bright, but in fact are so far away and unreachable. A long absence seldom makes people fond of each other; rather they tend to grow apart. But one thing I have learnt is that of a constant yearning and appreciation for the loves you love so much, and in my case it’s the immediate family. Understanding their expectations, hopes, dreams, and not to mention the trust placed in you makes one perceive situations a whole differently.

I travel home in my dreams. My subconscious mind takes me to a multitude of varied places every time. At all those times I end up interacting with so many of my friends and family. It’s like a collage of scenes merged into the likes of a single movie trailer. The best part is there is no start or stop button, and it goes on and on. I wonder if there is anything called an ‘impromptu dream?’ The movie trailer is fuelled by thoughts, emotions, and memory of a dreamer. I love it and would have it no other way.

I wanted to savour some real home cooked food. Enough with the ‘shitty’ canteen food that lacked variety and taste; also not forgetting the hygiene factor; and not to mention the diarrhoea that follows after consumption. All the ingredients bought were taken to be cooked. The menu was onion roti, dhal and chicken curry along with fried entrails. It was nothing fancy, but it was all that I expected. The aroma, taste and the burps that followed afterwards, all reminded me of home.

My island home sparkles as a pearl in the Indian Ocean
Covered in a smooth blanket of soft and glimmering sand.
Oh! How anxious am I to see thy lovely bounties again
Since my spirit is waning and energy running dry

No comments: