Saturday, March 14, 2009

What’s with your attitude??

Final semester, I think, for most would be a kind of reflection on all the things they’ve done and accumulated throughout their tenure of tertiary education. More I think about this, I realise that the final semester is being more action packed and eventful than ever. One subject in which both worlds- the good and bad- fuse into is international management taught as mentioned before by an iron lady- ‘the mafia’. On a good day, the learning experience is indeed beautiful and unparallel, and this would occur if no ‘jackass’ does something stupid in class. In contrast, if someone screws up (yea...that’s the word!!!), the proverb ‘hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’ is very apt. Do believe me when I say that stupidity courses through most of the students taking this subject, which makes me wonder if these people can actually cope with university standards. Would you believe me if I told you that a group collectively missed out 3 questions (that’s all there were) when answering a case, and came out with a completely absurd analysis?? This group included 5 people (2 men and 3 women), which speaks volumes about their collective IQ. This is even after events that transpired giving people a heads-up of what would happen if they came out with below par performance.


Come to think of it, I can understand how ‘the mafia’ feels when students don’t live up to certain expectations. She is indeed a passionate lecturer giving her best and nothing less. It is justified to be fed up when students repeat the same mistake over and over again. I’m to a great extent sure of the fact that we are her worst class because it’s a no-brainer. Sure, there are individuals who are not in the soup, but when taken collectively we have failed. Maybe this is why the ummah of today can’t achieve what it wants. Our entire approach and attitude must be skewed, thus not achieving the desired objectives. Every time a person makes a blunder in class everyone gets an earful, and I mean at some point you can take it anymore. You think those idiots will learn after the incident, but that’s just too much to ask.


Working in a group requires a lot of cohesion, and it should make a lot of things efficient. That would be how people see it- right?? Wrong!!! I have seriously not come across such inconsiderate group members before, and it all had to happen in my last sem. Apparently, going back to ones home town is so crucial that coming early to campus is too much to ask. If that’s not enough, a crucial part of the assignment was completely missing when I was compiling the project. Then, I’m sitting there looking at my pc screen and thinking ‘wtf??’ Later, I started doing the missing part frustrated and cursing my guts out. I really felt like taking a call to that girl and blasting her to bits. But, being a patient man got the better of me and it didn’t happen. I very much loathe sub-standard effort and the ‘don’t care’ attitude; it results in me having to do extra work. Then there was me waiting over 30 min for a scheduled meeting only to find out it had been cancelled, but you were not informed. Ain’t it just a bitch??


This post is nothing else but to vent my anger at ungrateful people. If you give 100% while your group member doesn’t even come close, how would you feel?? I’d feel pretty pissed off. One cardinal rule about a patient man is never piss him off because behaviour of these people is unpredictable. I happen to be one of them. When I lose my temper, I have little care for the well being of the person responsible for it. Then all I think about is how much pain I can inflict and make life miserable for that person. If it leads to a brawl, then so be it. Hey, there is a limit to pushing a man too far; life has been brawl-free since I came to Malaysia.


Yesterday, a demented nut of a man (and no...my words are not harsh) was seen meddling with his phone during a lecture with ‘the mafia’, which was an extra class. She started with an irritated remark that lead to a full pitched “get out” being repeated continuously until the perp left the class. As he neared the exit, she banged her fist on the table in front of her- that made me jump. I say, there was no harm in that. Then she took sometime of recover and went on with the lecture with some attitude modification. She answered two calls while lecturing to us, and even sent a few text messages. During one of the calls she told the caller “my students are very inconsiderate”, and that made me go “ouch!!” After the call she gave a one-liner “so....how do you feel now??” That comment really hurt me a lot, even though, it was not my mistake. She then said “if you give me attitude.....I reply with an attitude that is multiplied ten thousand times.” From that point onwards everything took a downhill course. One thing I got to know from this is that her ringtone is ‘sweet child o’ mine’ by Guns n’ Roses. Talk about being hip because I can get down with that yo!!


Realising the fact that you have received so much scolding within a span of almost a month from just one lecturer is quite sad. It’s more than enough to last all the four years of your university life.

No comments: