Sunday, December 05, 2010

30 Days Past...

It has been a month since I began my new job, which is a completely different field to what I'm used to. Nevertheless, I find it very interesting and in any new thing there lies a learning experience. It gets quite hectic at times with having to meet certain deadlines that make you do long hours, but in comparison to my former job there are many supportive people. In considering group dynamics, my team consists mostly of those speaking Sinhala and fluency of the Queen's language is lacking, but it doesn't matter. They are a lively bunch all the time, full of life, laughter and smiles. I have no problem in terms of interacting with them since my language skills are quite good.

The culture and environment is unique in its own way, not to be outdone by the people who make it so. I'm still a rookie here, so its better to keep a low profile, not to mention having a cousin working in the same company. Only a handful of people know of this fact and I intend to keep it that way. One thing I realised is past Muslims who had been part of the team had not maintained a better precedent for those that would follow suit. Well, let's just stay that most "Muslims" were not so up to the mark as they should have been. Malays don't have a positive image amongst my team either. They think I'm Moor, which made it able to feel the pulse of those around me. I heard stories of Malays they knew who were into boozing, eating pork and every bad thing under the sun. At that point I didn't defend my race because to an extent its all true. Plus, I liked being thought a "Moor" giving me an advantage in trying to pick their brains.

Stereotypes are created easily when a small group of people is judged upon their actions, and then its framed on the entire community. I know its unfair, but what can you do? That's how the world works, sadly. I even had a lame fight with a person regarding this, and I was just dragged into it. I had no idea what all the fuss was about.

From today, emak is in hospital to undergo a minor surgery. It was only 4 days ago that my parents celebrated their 26th wedding anniversary. 26 years is like a major achievement in this modern day when most marriages crumble after a few years. I just hope everything goes well during the surgery, and she gets better soon.

I must also make effort to blog often, because its one of my ways to let things out. As times goes things would obviously become more hectic, complex and complicated. I just hope God will give me strength to carry on through all the trials ahead.

No comments: