Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Hush-Hush World

My life at present revolves around work and constant thoughts as to how I can rise up the corporate ladder. It's important to absorb aspects that are within your job description while making sure your performance is up to par or above. You realise that throughout all these you deal with people who are very complicated in all aspects, and certainly not rational as theory states.

While returning from lunch with some guys of my team another group were outside the office premises discussing about a work related matter. We were invited to join in the conversation since it involved the entire team. Taking a risky decision is given the Sinhala term "bella thiyanawa" (roughly translated to sticking ones neck out), thus that issue was solved. Then the conversation switched to the demise of a co-worker's relative whose family information/background is a bit sordid. Due to its sensitive nature I have to leave a lot of it out. But I can say this, if ever a local segment of 'The Bold & the Beautiful' were to be made those material would make the list, definitely. The term "girlfriend" is also given women having affairs with married and/or divorced men. Well...the world ain't a rosy place after all. My supervisor got confused with trying to connect the link of a certain relationship, which another had to repeat a few times.

In technical terms I've never had 'real' relationship, because in my opinion a 3 month long-distance affair doesn't count. I also figured out why I have a liking for love stories which are very passionate and full of drama- its because I'm sure to a great extent of not experiencing such a situation. The highlight was breaking it off while on an IM session with the words "its not you, its me", which even to a novice like me was hard to accept. So, after that incident I've steered away from women given the exceptional incident of Ms.X that is now history. Ironically, I was quite angry with how things had turned out that I shut myself off from everything. It was a stupid move on my part, and blame cannot rest solely on her. Amidst all that happening I still managed to make the Dean's List that semester, how about that?!?

Why am I writing about an incident that is dead and buried? Its because I came across all the e-mails we wrote to each other yesterday in an old folder of my inbox while searching for a password. Its still there in that folder which I plan to delete soon as possible. In spite of what happened we still talk to each other, and she is set to get married as per her plan. I happened to be the casualty which would have made her plan not possible; that meant I had to go. Looking back now, I'm relieved of not having to worry about the pressure of an impending marriage coupled with family responsibility.

Guess things and events have a hidden wisdom that is unique to them...

No comments: