Monday, November 30, 2009

All in a days work

At present, being 'temporarily' unemployed may be a sort of blessing in disguise. In one way I get to help around the house; by this it means I help mum. I never noticed it before, maybe I was not that observant, but she does all the work at home. It's really amazing to watch her juggle all the chores, look into whatever that is required by us (meaning dad, bro and I), have a mental inventory of supplies, and not to mention give a good scolding when you're out of line etc. I daresay, she would beat superwoman hands down!! Having said that, I'm sure she beat superwoman like about 20 years ago.

I have managed to pitch in whenever I'm needed; to lift heavy objects, run errands.... you know, its mostly heavy duty stuff. Then one day I took a bold move and started to do the dishes without warning. If I had asked to do them she would always say, no!! I think mothers don't like their sons in the kitchen. I wonder why? All of a sudden I went 'commando' and started with the dishes, later she came and told me stop; but like I was just going to drop everything and leave!! One of my policies, which I have adopted over the years is to finish whatever I start. Thus, I did all the dishes, and in return, as appreciation got a few kind words and a kiss.

My skills are being honed on many avenues, cutting beef is one of them. If you ignorant lot think cutting beef is a 'piece of cake', then I would tell you to think again. I was only given a tutorial that lasted a good 5-10 minutes, and after that, it was all me. Surprisingly, I kind of picked up on a few things mum taught me and successfully finished task. I guess it must have been my hidden culinary skills erupting like lava from a dormant chef-to-be soul. I'm not going to say that it was easy; what with having to cut layers of fat (mum has a zero policy on fat!!), then some skin, and what not. Let me make one thing clear- your mum is the most strict of supervisors you will ever come across.

There you have it folks, I'm somewhat of a butcher. Hmmm.... a new line of employment perhaps?!? .........NOT. Hajj was a challenge when it came to making a fire to barbecue satay. The local satay is hardly sweet, rather its kind of spicy. Usually, coconut shells are used to make the fire, alas, there were none. So, we resorted to coal not knowing how things would turn out. Coal took about an hour to really emit required heat in order to cook the satay, but in the end victory was ours!!

Although, its a bit late, Eid Mubarak to everyone!!

No comments: