Sunday, July 11, 2010

All by myself

Doing things on my own did bring some form of independence in a way that's strangely indescribable. It stems from me being able to do what I want, rather than look for consensus like on most occasions. I, at the age of 24 (nearing 25) went to watch a movie alone, and the experience was quite good. I might even go to watch other movies alone in time to come. You might be wondering why this guy does it? Well, its quite simple because some of my friends don't like to watch some movies, especially Tamil or Sinhala. But, why should I deprive myself of NOT watching those movies? I mean, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Surprisingly, I may have found a way to unwind on my own without needing to depend on someone else. I happened to be the only person to watch the movie alone, others had come with families and lets not forget all the lovey-dovey couples. An entire row was dedicated to me (seating was not an issue), no obtrusive distractions ahead, minimal noise; what more could you ask for? I've already started to think about the next film I'll watch alone.

Coming to the movie 'Suwanda Denuna Jeevithe' I should say is a decent attempt at bringing the Sinhala cimena to the fore. After years' of neglect due to many reasons (all of which I'm really not familiar to) local cinema is slowly and steadily getting to its feet. Script wise it hinges along the likes of 'Jab We Met' and 'Kanden Kadhalai' without diverting or trying to infuse a local element into the film. I do wish local artists would give room for originality and bring forth scripts dealing with contemporary issues affecting everyday Sri Lankans. Let's not be too critical too soon because all good things take time therefore, time will show the true potential of Sri Lanka, which I'm sure is capable of great heights given its history. Pooja Umashanker in my opinion is a great actress, and she having Sri Lankan roots should be considered a blessing. She has the whole package that is very much missing in most local actresses qualified to act in films: she can act and has won awards to prove it, dancing is not an issue, very lovable on screen and a definite crowd puller. That my dear friends is what you need to make super-duper movie!! Pooja would undoubtedly give all local actresses a run for their money without much effort, lets also hope competition encourages local lasses to up their ante. Songs in the film were refreshing with well thought of lyrics and melodies teaming up with popular local singers. An aspect that captivated me most is the location selection that is just beyond awesome. The locales were so good it made me wonder where they are and go there!! Seriously, I'm not joking. All in all, it was a good film.

Honestly, it feels nice coming back to blogging. Hmmm.... how about that?!?

No comments: