Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Old Boys' Club

Most of you living in Sri Lanka -those who are guys anyway- would have a close affiliation to their former schools, one way of doing that is by joining the Old Boys' Club. Obviously, many schools refer to their alumni is various way like Old Boys' Group, Association, Union etc. Before leaving school to study abroad I had already obtained membership- life membership to be exact!! For 5 years nothing really happened and neither was I interested because academics were my priority. After coming back home I thought why not play an active role and see how I can contribute towards my Alma Mater.

Being part of the alumni in ones former school is like a tradition in many ways. Son follows the father in his footsteps and that's pretty much it. But there lies an unspoken loyalty amongst those of the alumni; loyalty transcending age, religion and race. During my school days I addressed any alumnus as "Sir", that being the rule taught to us by seniors. After joining the alumni you do that to people who are past their 50s or 60s. Here, its very important to know your place and not to step on peoples' toes, because you never know the amount of influence those have. On the other hand, members of this group are some of the imminent businessmen, politicians, doctors, lawyers, and others who are at the pinnacle of their fields; a definite plus point when concerned with networking.

I contested for the Old Boys' Council, and in my maiden attempt succeeded thanks to my age group, it was mainly due to me being one of the oldest in the group. Lobbying for votes from my juniors was hardly an effort since most of them willingly supported me. Henceforth, its a very long climb to the top, but hey, climbing is something I do quite well.

No comments: