Monday, December 01, 2008

24 years strong

Today is my parents anniversary, 24 years down the road, they have been through good times and bad, through thick and thin. Looking back, I must say, making a marriage work is no piece of cake, and neither the effort involved. It takes immense sacrifice, perseverance, tolerance, understanding and a sea of patience from both people. Emak gave up trying to be a chartered accountant to raise my bro and I, and that has definitely not gone to waste. She imparted a world of knowledge, culture, ethics and manners, which hold me in good stead today. I can't repay that debt. Bapa still does his best to provide for the family, and soon it will be my turn to take over the baton. I pray for strength that will enable me to sustain their needs in time to come, Insha Allah.

As the saying goes- behind every successful man there's a woman- that phrase is very true and I see it in the shape of emak. She holds all of us, bapa, adik, and I together, like a circle that has no beginning neither an end. To refer to her as the 'rock' of our family would not be fitting, rather an understatement, it wont do her justice. Throughout bapa's career as a lawyer, politician, social worker, and now a Principal's wife, she has been nothing short of supportive. Frankly, its hard to handle bapa's popularity over here. Here surnames speak louder than words, and when I told MB's dad who I am, the answer was "I know all about your father." I kind of picture bapa doing the dance in MC Hammer's song 'you cant touch this.' No sir, it will sure take awhile. It is very much a tall order, indeed.

One thing is for sure, if there is to be a God fearing man of sterling qualities, of decorum, of integrity, and of chivalry, it needs a woman. Or should I say a lady more than a woman because the task is so great not all women succeed at it. I'm forever grateful to God for being blessed with my mother, a lady of immense proportions, and thus far the only influential woman in my life.

Celebrating the anniversary is always going out to lunch, and while there MB gives a call. It was about 2.30 pm and I thought results wont be out for another hour. MB wanted to know my results as his usual routine- talk about a nerd, eh!! I told him to check it for me, which in seconds he agreed. Every second passing from that moment on felt like eternity. The food I was eating felt very different, but good thing the call came after we had soup tom yam, and it was awesome.

I was happy the results turned out well, which brightened up the day. Bapa shook my hand giving the usual 'well done, my boy!' phrase, while emak gave me a big hug and kisses. I was very happy about business law; after being on the fence for mid term, I had done well in the finals. Alhamdulillah, I managed to break the jinx of having bad results when I was here last time.

I feel like on cloud 9, and now I can abuse the fame a teeny tiny bit when going out with my mates. Hope all you folks got good results, and don't worry, if you know you gave it your best shot that's that matters.
Peace yo, ciao ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww. tribute to emak. so shweet! hehe. congrats on ur good results. it's always nice to make parents happy :-)