Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Let me take the memories, for it is all I have...

I have not written a shred in this blog for more than two weeks. There is a sense of guilt, but that is easily masked by the many things that kept me occupied during that time. I have been going to a lot of places visiting many people, most of whom happen to be my relatives. I visited one of the last surviving brothers of my grandad in lanka, the other is in England. While I was there something amazing happened. He shoved a great old folder to my hands, and it contained pictures of our extended families going back over 70 years. I even saw pictures of my great-grandma and great-grandad. Leafing through all those pages were simply glorious. There was even a new born picture of bapa with loads of curly hair. Those pics are the bomb!!! No doubt in that at all.

I make it a point to visit all the elderly relatives of mine. I don't know why, but I feel its my duty to pop in and see how their doing. I think old people have a lot to tell, especially stories of the bygone days, stories relating to our family. I like to listen to them, and how we have come this far to modern times.

My days in lanka are numbered, and time seems to be sprinting faster than Bolt. How about that eh?? I'm in the process of saying my goodbye's to all the people I know. As for the second holiday, I shall give a detailed version of our exploits in due time. I cant do something half way and leave it to rot. Might as well do it properly, or not at all, so do bear with me. They say patience is a virtue, after all!!

This holiday has been the best I have ever had, hands down. I would give it two thumbs-up. I made it a point to renew lost ties with some of my friends, and also search for relatives whom I haven't met. I also have a very good idea about my family tree now. When your grandad has 12 siblings, keeping track of the 3 generations becomes an arduous task.

My heart feels happy and content. I tried to get the best out of my holiday. I have all the memories stored within me, which I will later look back upon with much joy and fondness. Memories are what keeps you going, they bring a smile to you when the chips are down, or even when sharing a light moment. Thank God, for all those good times I had this holiday. I'm certainly grateful for His mercy and blessing throughout.

1 comment:

lubnaaa said...

It's nice that you visit all your older relatives. I find the older generation to be very insightful about things.

Have a safe trip back to uia!