Friday, June 05, 2009

Power of the cable

Most us have been programmed or hardwired with the idea of infusing a lot of effort towards a particular endeavour, thus resulting on a particular outcome. It has been more than a month since I started looking for employment. After all, it's the only rational thing a person wanting to be independent would do. I've gone to a career fair and an interview, which in both situations nothing materialised. It so seems that companies are avoiding foreigners like the plague. All other things held constant (ceteris paribus), I'm very confident of scoring a job given an even playing field, but we all know that's never going to happen. Due to such odds, it is necessary or shall I say "essential" to request assistance from those you know. Life is a cocktail of what you know, and whom you know. Back home, there would not be a huge crisis because even I have my network of contacts from the school alumni. It is indeed a blessing when "old boys" from your school hold very influential public and private sector posts. Since I'm not in my home country the approach is without question different and a bit jittery.


As it turns out, in my host country titles play a significant role when getting things done. There is also a hierarchy that makes matters less 'complicated'; depending on the number of people one knows along the line. Frankly, I'm very open to a quid pro quo situation, but what worries me is the part of reciprocation. This sounds a bit like economics: nothing in the world is free, everything has a cost. The words "powerful cable" are often used to imply how personal networks can be of immense use, especially in furthering ones agenda. Everything is abused in this world and so are personal networks. But utilising it for something good is alright in my book; God knows thy intentions.


I had to meet one of fathers' long time acquaintances, who extended a helping hand. He is one of those gentlemen who have a title. Goody!!! I really don't know what will materialise out of this because I'm fed up of the whole thing. There is nothing more depressing than to find out someone less qualified than you scoring a job at a reputed company, and being all smug about it too. All I can do is give a weak smile from the corners of my mouth, not forgetting to say "well done" like he/she got it solely on merit. When you are with the same crowd for 4 years, you get around to knowing the ones who perform well, and those who don't. In order to meet him, I had to take the same route reminiscent of my practical training. My God, what a flood of memories that brought on because I never knew they existed in me. It got even better when returning to campus when I met someone from the company I interned- Haji Yusoff. On my last day of work, Haji Yusoff took me to lunch before prayers and said it was to have met me. There we were -Haji Yusoff and I- chatting away in malay like old friends. We took turns inquiring about each other, his car had broke down leaving no other option but to take the train. Before he got off I told him "jaga diri ok" to which he said "Insha Allah" making my day unexpectedly warm and bright. Doesn't get better than this, or does it!?!


At Masjid Jamek, I bought curry puffs from a boy -who looks barely a teen- like most mornings on my way to practical training. Although, it was evening, the boy was there as usual nothing out of place. I can't imagine his life because reaching out to his situation is beyond me. I very dearly hope that his future would be better in time to come. My contingency plan would be activated if nothing productive happens. Thank God...... I have a free ticket to go back home due to the airline offloading us at the last moment (read Flight UL 316).

No comments: