Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The shit never ends....... rather it gets worse.

Going to One Utama on a Sunday can be a painstaking ordeal. It also brought about a landmark moment in which I set foot in that place for the first time, although being in KL for the past 4 years. I've always wanted to see the place, but never actually got around to it. Another lesson to learn is book your tickets in advance when wanting to see an outrageously popular movie- like Transformers. They should also have law for not making malls so huge. In the end, no tickets were available at 5pm or 6pm, which stung a great deal. Ouch!! All that 2 hours of commute for nothing. Freakin' great!!

En route to One Utama, the guys were chatting while waiting for the bus adjoining Kelana Jaya station, I noticed a lady sitting behind us. I was facing the boys while they were seated on one of the benches. As usual, we were speaking in Sinhalese, giving us an advantage saying whatever we desire without the scrutiny. After some time there was another woman who emerged out of the train station who made her way towards us. I must be honest in saying that this woman was extremely pretty, thus making heterosexual male heads turn. All this while I was standing, the woman I mentioned first -the one sitting behind us- acted as if she knew what we were talking. I dismissed the idea after sometime, but still had my doubts. As the pretty lady passed by one of the boys made a hearty comment making us all chuckle. Few seconds later, the woman sitting behind us approached one of the boys on my left and asked "are you Sri Lankan?", and that too in Sinhala!!!

There was a sudden pause, where all of us just couldn't believe our ears. I mean, who would have thought?? Not me, that's for sure. We were all pretty sure she had heard everything including what we said about that pretty lady. Oh well, it was too late to do anything. This incident taught us not to talk in a high pitch next time. On our way back, we got a nice tour of the surrounding area courtesy of the bus- route U82. My......my......the cars in that area are absolutely awesome. At this point, given the choice between a lady and a car, I would without hesitation pick the former.

Now for this week.

Today, I met another of my fathers' contacts about a job. Incidentally, he knew that I'm a Malay through his relations with my father. He is a member of many NGOs and a close friend of the opposition leader. During my chat with him, he spoke of how they plan to "change" things in the local context. But for my safety I will not be talking about it here. Beginning of our meeting he asked me "how many percent of Malay are you?", to which he, himself, gave rhetorical answers like "5 percent, or is it 10 percent?" Then he asked the usual questons like if my parents were Malay, and when I said "yes", he countered my answer with another question to ascertain if they were "pure" Malay. What is this shit all about?? Seriously, I'm getting sick of this because I see no point the matter. I should coin a name for this; let's call it the 'purity problem.'

6 comments:

Najia said...

bus U82! goes by right pass my house!

Loner said...

Good heavens!! some areas did seem vaguely familiar to me, but had no idea exactly though. Too bad you were not around, or else I would've waived!!! ;)

lubnaaa said...

One Utama last Sunday? Dude, I was there! And sullenly so, because I was dragged against my will.

I have a story similar to yours, about a Malaysian student in the US calling an obese Caucasian man on a bus a 'badak', ie hippo. He was just teasing, but the man lumbered up to him, all red in the face, yelling in perfect Malay street slang 'you think I don't understand BM?!' Epic WIN.

Malay purity, seriously, wth???

monday173 said...

Oh I assure you the purity issue does exist. Based on my experience, it's not only confined to the Malays. The Chinese get it too, and probably other races as well.

Dammit. We need more mongrels to populate the Earth so we can stand and say, "Take that you purists!" Muhahahaha

But I do believe in the words of Russell Peters which said that with all the mix marriages that has been going on, one day the world will be BEIGE. Hahahaha

Loner said...

Miss. ELusive: whoever knew that you would frequent a mall, even that against your will. But any chances of meeting is minimized due to the malls' size.

Miss. Model: when the world becomes 'beige' at least you can say "i'm chinese man." so, in your case it's still not that bad :) cheers!!

Anonymous said...

dats why i dont wanna marry an Indian ;)but in my case...does it even change anything?