Monday, October 04, 2010

The Four Gentlemen

Throughout my life until now I have seldom received many presents or gifts. But the term and definition of 'presents/gift' have a misconstrued meaning in my vocabulary which strays away from the norm. I consider all that I have on a daily basis as gifts, well, others reading this would assume that's the next best thing. I mean, gifts came my way rarely and I got used to not expecting it too. Emak always reminds me to think of those who don't even have what I do; that is very true in all aspects.

Having said that, whenever I did get a gift it has been very special or quite significant. And one such gift is "The Four Gentlemen' given to me by a lecturer -who said "you were a joy to teach"- at uni after my graduation. She told me to come to her office and handed me a box. Then she said "when I read about this gift and its qualities, it reminded me of you". As I read the card inside the box, the feeling that came about was similar to an erupting volcano. Having taken 2 courses with her (results being an 'A' and an 'A-'), I was one of her star pupils; wording it as 'star' does sound good!!

The card read: The Four Gentlemen

Chinese art and literature refer to the plum blossom, orchid, bamboo and chrysanthemum collectively as the Four Gentlemen; what are considered their distinct qualities are seen as traits of a gentleman or scholar.

The plum blossom, able to withstand the cold of winter, symbolizes perseverance, courage and willpower.

Admired for its beauty and fragrance, the orchid represents a perfect cultured individual.

Bamboo is pliant yet strong, alluding to resilience and humility, its tall stem seeming to represent the pursuit of excellence.

The chrysanthemum is said to personify simplicity, honesty and perfection.

The Four Gentleman collection pays tribute to these virtues and ideals.

End.

I came across the card in my attache case, and read it, then realised that I would need these qualities more than ever. These are trying times indeed!!

No comments: