Monday, October 11, 2010

Weary Spirit

As I lay on my bed last Saturday recovering from post-event exertion -something seldom after having left school- it felt good to have such a feeling. Aching feet, sore joints and worn-out muscles all encased by a cocoon of satisfaction!! Yes, it felt the same....feeling of a project successfully completed. The only difference being all the project members were old boys of school. But even then, there was no segregation just because you were younger; everyone was on a "machang" level. One thing you should remember (a cardinal rule) is a senior old boy can call you "machang", but it shouldn't happen the other way. Lets just say that it wont stand in your favour for long.

I was in charge of food at the event and we realised at lunch time that there is a shortfall. Reason for it was, we hadn't taken into account the participants from the Armed Forces. The schools got snacks while the Forces requested for rice. Talk about heart-burn!! After a few minutes of reckless panicking and heart palpitations I instructed the committee to order more rice packs- everything under control. Food is the most crucial and highly critiqued element at most events, and this was no exception. All in all, my duty was carried out efficiently and I made an impression with the senior old boys, that's good enough for me.

The day before this (Friday) as I was on my way to check preparations at school, a mother and two daughters boarded my bus. Soon after they were seated the trio started talking in Malay!! And I was just wide eyed trying not to stare at them, because it hit a sentimental note in me. Here we are trying to revive the local Malay language thinking people hardly use it, but some don't fall into that group. The trio being women were talking in slightly high pitched voices and all the others inside the bus were trying to figure out what these women were on about. I found it amusing, and for once didn't mind the high pitched tones. It was like an unexpected present.

People inside the bus were looking at each other, some with frowns on their faces which turned into expressions of giving-up later as they had no clue. I was sitting next to one of them, so I understood every word of it. It sort of had a cult feeling in the bus, because to them only they could understand it, and including me it was 4.

Looks like we have not lost all hope yet!! The tunnel is dark at present, but I'm certain we can at least see a streak of light at its end.

No comments: