Sunday, April 19, 2009

Balik kampung

Ever since my first visit to JB -way back in my first semester- I've always been fond of the place. JB is where I went to escape from all the routine headaches of university life. I felt re-energized the first time I came here because back then, I was still adapting. Adapting to an academic life that was alien to me mostly, but one I had undergo nonetheless. As time passed, I have come again and again to JB, and it still feels like the first time. Lovely and refreshing. It lets me clear a lot of things in my head, a change of environment, better food and a closer sense of belonging.

I got on a bus to JB on Saturday nearing mid-afternoon. I meant to leave earlier, but the bed beckoned to stay a few minutes longer before I depart. How could I say no such a request?? As we moved out of KL, I started to read the book from where I left off beginning of the semester- The Kite Runner. I was lost in the book and hardly felt the time pass. I travelled to San Jose, Kabul, Peshawar, then Fremont; visualised images of the author that were in print. Then from time to time gazed out of my window to see the palm trees in plain sight and the mountains yonder. I looked the opposite way and saw clouds floating to a borderless sky. A thought crossed my mind- what if I could be a cloud. It might sound absurd, even delusional, but to me it was quite appealing. Clouds are so light, can take many shapes, go anywhere they wish. I was so engrossed in the book that I didn't even eat lunch when the bus stopped. Just hopped out to get a drink and came straight back to continue reading. I tried to imagine if a Sri Lankan were to write a novel like this. I daresay, it would be one hell of a tale depending on the writer's perception of war. There would be bias, of course, and a cocktail of personal trauma, grief, animosity etc. Condition of the bus was very poor, it didn't even have a foot rest. To make things a bit more exciting, whenever the bus started to accelerate the shocks would make a squeaking noise positively related to increase in speed. Oh joy, it felt like going on one of those kids rides.

I still have to finish the book, which will take about a day or so.

My holiday is going great thus far. The food is blowing my mind not to mention my senses as well. The mango chutney today sent me to another dimension beyond wordy description. It really feels good to get out of the 'boring' hostel life. I am ready for something new now, something more exciting and challenging. From now on it doesn't have to be about lecturers, carry marks, mid terms or assignment. But that does not mean there is less responsibility.

I am quite disappointed with the fellows in my faculty. Saying the word 'disappointed' would be an understatement of the highest order. We are supposed to be equipped with managerial skills, but apparently no one had the idea of organising a graduation party. In my defence, all I can say is that I'm a international student, thus having no say in the matter- or any matter. I mean why couldn't we even do a lame one?? From my previous experience: lame is what we aimed for!! well, it's over now so let's just let it go.

No comments: