Friday, April 18, 2008

A 'Royal' Friday

How this came about is a surprise to me as well since it was told by my taxi driver . As I was waiting for the bus to take me to the mosque (after all it's a Friday) there was a very long procession of vehicles getting closer and closer. The convoy was headed by about 8 policemen on motorcycles and the person at the head was having a microphone in his helmet. He was instructing the cars on the road to make way or otherwise move to a side of the road. I noticed a car carrying a gold colour flag and it all made sense. In Malaysia, only the king is allowed to use the colour gold in any activity, unless there is a couple getting married, which entitles them to be know as 'king and queen for a day'. Behind the kings car there were a few other cars following and this would have made our president look like a MP.

After I got into, the cab the driver reinforced my theory and said the king also comes to the mosque to which I was about to enter. I was kind of enthusiastic about the whole deal, but its a not a matter to light cracker now, is it? The best was yet to come as I was going to pay the driver who happened to be a very elderly gentleman. I had only a RM. 50 note with me while the fare came to around RM.2, thus creating a dilemma. I had no spare change and neither did the driver so both of us ended up looking at each others faces with blank expressions. Then the driver tapped me on the palm and said "it's ok la, no problem" to which I said, "are you sure?". He nodded his head and I went into the mosque, not forgetting to thank the old chap for his kindness. After mosque I was about to get lost in the surrounding area when the kings convoy passed by with much pomp and the sound of sirens wailing (he is so important to this country, even though he is just a figurehead). Assuming he is taking the same route to and from the mosque, I decided to follow suit, which lead me back to my company.

I have a bone to pick with the Malaysian rain since it just wont cease. When it starts to rain it tends to continue in that manner for hours (the longest I have experienced is close to 3 hours), which hampers the movement of people. I had to get soaked just to get a taxi and missed my scheduled train at both the stops. I was not too mad because I had managed to coax my supervisor into letting to take leave on Saturdays until the end of my practical training. What a relief!!! traveling for 3 hours up and down just to work for 4 hours on a Saturday is quite pointless really.

No comments: