Tuesday, September 01, 2009

10-3B

This weekend turned out to be very eventful for a lot of reasons. Firstly, my friends and I were gearing up to move into an apartment after 4 years of uni life. There was a pinch of liberation sprinkled into the air because from now on no more campus rules. The apartment, actually it's an office place we are going to convert into a house is quite alright. Honestly, we have water, sanitation, a roof and all other essential components needed to reside like human beings. Having said that, I know there are millions who don't even have what we do right now. Praise the Lord for His benevolence upon us.

On Sunday, the three of us (who have been roomies for the past 4 years) took on a challenge of immense proportion. Giving a thorough clean to the new place took every ounce of energy. At that time we realised that the floor is slanted after pouring water to clean it. God, why are people so careless and cheap?? It took a few hours to sweep the entire place, cleaning the floors along with the bathroom, not to mention mopping, and finally doing other small things like the windows etc. Our attempts to find a lorry turned futile it being the weekend and next day Merdeka. Still we kept on trying nonetheless. Finally, Monday night we managed to borrow a friends van and had to do a few trips to and fro, not to mention dodging the police check points en route. Seriously, none of us had a license!!

Do you want to know my opinion about moving? I absolutely without a nanosecond of thought hate it!! Like they say in the movies "I'm too old for this shit." Carrying all the accumulated belongings of three people for the past four years took a significant toll on everyone's muscles, back and other body parts; all of it were carried four stories. If you happen to say "ouch" after this, you have no idea about the strain caused. Furniture is non-existent, but the broker did fix a ceiling fan at no extra fee. God bless that Chinese man, and who said they're all about the money?!? Our one and only house asset for the time being. After doing the agreement I would be almost broke, and will be contemplating whether to request for zakat. LOL!!!

If shifting house leaves your finances so low, I can only imagine getting married. This is not to scare or discourage all those people thinking of marriage. Just so all of you know, I'm pro-marriage and think its a lovely thing. I plan on filling my coffers to the brim before getting hitched. Now, please don't scrutinize me.

Everything was done close to midnight, thus all of us (six people, three others who came to lend a hand) took a breather. The three boys had to stay over at our place because going back to uni would only land them with a compound note courtesy of incompetent uni security. We stayed up talking and laying down on our new mattresses, which we found out are of very poor quality. If you raise an eyebrow at this one I got two words for ya- budget constraints. At 3am all of us decided to walk to Idaman to eat, then comeback to pray and sleep. With all the minor aches received a few hours prior we managed to go and comeback in one piece.

The place needs a lot of work, but for now I'm happy that we have some place to stay.

I came across a news item of Muslims protesting against the construction of a kovil. A protest is alright in my book, but what annoyed me is when protesters were parading a cow's head; that to me is really not cool and going over the line. What happened to Muslims being tolerant and peaceful?? I say put all the inconsiderate buggers who did it behind bars. I have a minority mindset when it comes to such issues since my motherland is a Buddhist majority country.


No comments: