Thursday, September 10, 2009

Like a bowl of porridge....

This Tuesday was the first time I didn't wake up for sahur, or shall I say woke up at 6am. When I looked at the time my eyes were immediately awake, not an ounce of drowsiness. Better yet, none of my roomies woke up either, which was utterly even more shocking. But there was nothing I could do except pray and get on with the day's work. Surprisingly though, I got through the day in better condition than most days I ate for sahur. It must be the hand of God easing my pain and suffering because I was expecting the worst. The only consolation was being invited for ifthar that day by a family friend of mine.

One thing I look forward to is an invitation for ifthar, lunch, dinner or any engagement that will end by serving food, and that too from the motherland. God, how I miss that food during this time of year. It has been 5 years since my last Ramadan at home, and not knowing when such a time will come again. I really miss my mum's beef porridge (referred back home as 'kanji') after ifthar due being accustomed to it over the years. There were also other treats like samosas, rolls, cutlets and much more. I can, however, have ifthar without it because that's what I've been doing ever since my university phase. However much food I find, it's nothing like home. Even though, there may be little food on the table all of it would taste divine. The feeling of sharing an ifthar with family, to me, is the best thing on earth.

I'm more into doing ifthar at home; mother is always making something 'special' for my brother and I. During the last few years I helped mum to prepare food the best I could. After all, I was a boy and we used to do only trivial chores as compared to the ladies who took on the lion's share. Call me old fashioned, but I don't intend on changing any of my preferences. Looking at ifthar from a cultural angle, many back home seldom patronise restaurants. To me comfort is of utmost importance, which in a restaurant I can't have. Plus, I prefer home cooked dishes for ifthar since that's the way my family's being doing it for ages.

I intend on allocating more points for possible future suitors who are skilled in culinary art (I'm planning to have a score sheet along with a few more essential qualities) ;). It means I will go only so far on the cooking track!!!

Now coming back to present....

As we started eating after azan, the food just seemed to glide down my throat. Thus far, it is the best ifthar I've had on foreign soil, no doubt about it. Samosas, pastries, rolls, fruits, sherbert drink; only thing missing may have been my actual family sitting around me. It was as if I went home to do ifthar!! I could only sum it up in one way- gastronomic. Looking back, I think there is so much I'm missing out, or have missed by now in the name of further education. I hope there will be a time for me to catch up?!?

As a fact, I know this all too well, and that is time waits for no one.

No comments: