Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oooiiii......come back here!!!

On the eve of my b'day, I was looking forward to doing a full 20 rakaths for taraweeh and sleeping for the night at the 'garden' mosque. One thing I like is that the 'garden' mosque cannot be equalled by another in terms of recitation. But my friends had other ideas like going to a friends apartment in Jalan Ipoh. I had to give in because they were all in agreement, thus after 8 rakaths we left the mosque. Nothing much happened that night except for talking about a few random things. I was startled when all the guys trooped in front me and shouted "HAPPY B'DAY!!"

Then I looked at my watch and said to myself...... "hmmmmmm, so it is." Time 12.40am.

I don't remember what happened beyond that point because I dozed off rather suddenly. From where I got that sudden sleepy breeze, I really don't know. Woke up for sahur, prayed, then slept again to only wake up past noon. During the times I was awake most of it were spent on reflection. The results are....

  • I have not managed to secure a proper job after graduating from university.
  • All of my efforts in achieving a class and not to mention a department ranking have been in vain.
  • My immediate graduate life is nothing worth celebrating or jumping for joy.
  • I have no idea about my next move and thus at crossroads.
  • I am seriously evaluating the rationale behind why people do somethings that they do.
  • Other guys were more excited about my b'day than I was, which was very strange.
  • Everything around me seems to hang by a thread, and a small jolt is enough to upset the whole apple cart.
  • There is more but I doubt my ability to stomach it all.

The guys wanted to buy somethings because a few were are going home for Eid. Others who weren't going had already made plans to send things through their friends. It all started when a friend sealed a deal to buy a shoe only to find out the pair brought later was a size smaller. Then he promised the seller that he would return after ifthar to buy the shoe, and all of us left China Town from the rear. After ifthar, we entered China Town the same way, from the rear, then my friend got a better deal on the same pair of shoes. While sealing the deal with this other chap the earlier seller happened to come and notice us there. Obviously, he would have been pissed off, anyone would. As we were walking away after my friend had bought the shoe, the rejected seller came behind us shouting to stop. It later escalated into an argument, which we all thought may turn ugly. So, none of us put our two cents into their argument. It's was a sensible decision my friend took in not talking back to this guy because he was really looking to start a fight. My friend started walking away while the Chinese dude started yelling profanities, and a for few minutes we were the centre of attention. If my friend had got hit, then we would have to go to his aid, which will also prompt other sellers to do the same. End result will for sure have been 5 seriously injured foreigners, one celebrating his b'day, ending up in a hospital. Talk about an eventful b'day, huh?!!?

I was relieved to reach home since I had just escaped being seriously injured, or maybe even killed. I only wanted to sleep and wake up for sahur the next morning. When I pulled out my mattress I felt it being a little damp, then on closer inspection found out most of it was wet. That's what happens when you leave your mattress near an open window exposed to the elements, which in this case happened to be the rain. It ended my blissful hopes of going into slumber.

After mignight on the 13, two friends came to our place and that resulted in me playing cards into the wee hours of September 14. I mean, its not like you can tell them to go because you want to sleep!! After having sahur at Idaman I came back home to pray and just went to sleep on the floor- desperate times call for desperate measures, or so they say. Sleeping for about 205min is hardly refreshing, but you can't give that excuse to your boss. Most of yesterday was spent in replying to all the wall posts on fb- a total of 125!! That sort of made me feel good, I think, but can't be certain though.

Today at 5.30am a friend called from home base, a surprise in no small way, and perfect timing too since no one had woken up for sahur. During the call, lasting about 40min, I managed to eat a few dates and drink some water. I told him of my situation, plans, close encounters, depressing moments and much more; so did he. I must say that was a nice way to start off the day.

Here I am then........ 24 years on with nothing of value to show. Shit!!!

1 comment:

lubnaaa said...

You're not looking properly Ahmed.

Look again.