Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hollow Heart...

Ramadan is back and this time I'm at home after a lapse of 5 long years. Being at home in a way does feel good, but why do I miss the university life? When I was there, I longed to be home, and now that I'm here its hardly a reason to celebrate. Its safe to say that during the 5 years I changed a great deal both physically and mentally, the uni environment suckled me every day leaving a lasting impact. I was able to burn down certain impressions and barriers, broaden my horizons, soak up foreign exposure- for which I'll always be indebted.

The experience of Ramadan on foreign soil brings great memories, lasting ones you can't forget even if you wanted to. Mosque provides ifthar to anyone who comes, plus there are others who also do it privately. The best part in all of this is the mosque. I've never loved, or still continue love a mosque so much as this.
























This love affair (if I could call it that) started when I first arrived as a fresher. My friends and I used to sleep in the mosque during late evenings after walking around the campus; we were explorers determined to discover new places in our uni. Sleeping in the mosque was a great thrill simply because its unheard of in Lanka, and you're not allowed either. One thing that made sleeping very pleasurable was the carpet covering the entire mosque floor, thickness of it was just right hence no pillow required, and also its surface texture very soothing to the skin. As time went by, I would frequent the mosque daily for prayers in congregation. Going there to pray kept my senses in check, helped me gather my thoughts, restrain myself from countless temptations- could I have asked for anything else?!?

And tarawih prayers -Allah bless those Imams- simply made my heart melt with their recitals. Each rakath used to take close to 7 or 8 min, but you know what, it hardly felt so taxing on the body. Being in that mosque, doing the prayers hardly felt like exerting effort. I doubt that I'll come across a Lankan mosque that would infuse me with such fervour. Neither will any local Imam recite the Quran with such beauty and melody. Standing next to someone you hardly know is common in prayer, that too if he's from another country, even a faraway continent. I've stood beside my brothers who came from all corners of the globe- and that I'm really proud of.

Food-wise, of course, I can't find half the things I used to. At the many canteens it was as if the world could be found on a single table. Choices were plenty and providers came from all parts of the globe- Arabs, Somali, Sudanese, European, Chinese, not to mention Malaysian and so much more.

I could go on, but words will surely fail me. Just one last thing before I end- I really miss you so so bad, now more than ever!! I long to see you again and pray in your shade. The day before leaving Malaysia (which was a Friday) after prayers I kissed one of the pillars, and whispered "goodbye, until I come again".

Until I come see you again....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

H