Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Answering the call...

Allahumma inni as’aluka fahmal-nabiyyen wa hifthal mursaleen al-muqarrabeen
(O Allah! I ask You for the understanding of the prophets and the memory of the messengers, and those nearest to You)

In the midst of the exam season there is something distracting me. It’s a whisper in my ear. It’s in the form of an illusion, and sometimes a mirage in my imagination. A tease in the way of what lies ahead. My tank of expectations is filled to the brim and I feel it might overflow its banks. Even my mental dam would not be able to hold it for long. I can almost hear the call of Lanka waiting impatiently for my return. The picture, clear in my mind is very inviting and certainly worth looking forward to. Such a lot would have changed, as usual. That would be the most consistent thing that I experience every time. I long to hold the only woman in my life until now and say, ‘I’ve missed you so much.’

I must admit the challenge of focusing or channelling all my energy takes a lot of conscious effort. Every time I sit at my desk my mind skims through all the memories of the motherland. Anticipation is at peak levels and I have had an overdose of it. I’m afraid there is no known cure currently found by the chaps wearing white coats. Having said all this, one cannot just take finals lightly. After finishing one paper, I’m making it a point to fire on all cylinders for the rest of the papers as well. I’ll party once I land at home.

I got news that my mates are planning a trip to the hills. That’s one excuse to get away from home and do things you can’t do on a normal sanity level. My policy would be to do anything whacky and crazy as long as no one gets hurt. But look at it this way, what are good friends for if they don’t let you do stupid things....alone?? Yeah, that’s what it’s all about, no doubt. An outstation getaway, a few nutty mates, no adult supervision (we’re adults aren’t we?? Yeah, as if that’s going to help!!), and raging imagination is just what the doctor ordered to release stress. I believe the name is Dr. Get-your-freak-on. If any of you want a prescription do holler, aight!?! I will make it a point to mention all the freaky things that happen. The premise is NOT everything that happens in a place stays there!!

So, I wish all those insomnia ridden undergrads with zombie-like symptoms ‘good luck’ for finals. Well, as they say, better late than never eh??

No comments: