Friday, October 03, 2008

The Baby Manual: An Unorthodox Version

Playing in my head now: What hurts the most by Rascal Flatts, Runaway (one of my favourites) by The Corrs, Nightingale by Yanni (one of my favourite contemporary composers) and Peace train by Cat Stevens (his music really gets to me. my #1 songwriter of all time).

Whenever, I come to JB there is something to look forward to. It's nothing more than seeing this enthusiastic toddler running about here and there. I must say, it is somewhat of a joy to see a child grow up; take the first steps; utter 'never heard of' sounds; and witness many antics up their sleeve from time to time. These small chaps know how to keep the adult mind guessing at all times, and guess what- they are winning!!! My job scope is like a parents assistant. Don't you think it kind of sounds professional? Here are a few tips for aspiring people in this ancient, but rapidly diversifying field.

Building a good rapport with the child is crucial for survival because the job task becomes easier. In my case except for the parents I am the only other related family member. Thus, I became an instant hit a long time back.

Building the child's mind is of immense importance. I have taught the boy how to do a "hi5." He has a mean one in which you can hear it go 'smack' when both our palms come into contact. Barney (a huge dinosaur character) is the latest fad for kids. The cd's contain numerous songs for the little ones, and I have sung along as well. Why?? It's quite simple really!! When 3 out of 4 people in a house start single there is nothing much one can do, but join the group. I even got the small chap to press some keys on the laptop, and hes quite good with the mouse for 15 month old baby, anyway!! Curiosity knows no bounds and inquisitiveness is at an all time high; he caught a bug and then broke its torso in two!!

The boy is an upcoming food lover in which I have a lot of faith. He is keen to try anything and everything that is seen on the table. Another proud Sri Lankan Malay in the making, but then again all Malays love food. He insanely loves Milo, and can tell by its colour. He cant be fooled and if not given kicks up a tantrum. Obviously, you don't have a choice then. Endowed with a good idea about the food he eats; the same thing cannot be given more than once in a day. A very picky chap, is he not??

A cute and cuddly expression makes you anything, but think before you do it. We are all at the mercy of their cuteness. I have never been so gullible when it comes to babies!! But ignoring those twinkly eyes and innocent smile is next to impossible. So, the bottom line is the babies win. If he runs to you because he is sleepy, then you have hit the jackpot. It means the kid 'digs' you like crazy!! It happened to me a few times and the feeling was indescribable. Here was a tiny boy with his head on one of your shoulders snoring away without a care. The only thing your thinking at that time is the child's safety, and absolutely nothing else.

Finally, the kids have loads of extra energy that seem to be expendable in gigantic proportions. I and his father are thoroughly worked out by chasing the boy around the house. He wobbles/runs along while shouting a language only other babies would understand. When you have a baby going to the gym becomes a thing of the past.

For more information do contact me. My gosh!! I sound like one of those children's TV presenters, but the only difference is I am a man!!


No comments: