Sunday, October 12, 2008

The return of a son...

In my head: O Fortuna by Mozart, a very powerful and uplifting composition. If you like classical music then this might appeal to you, if not, your missing out on good music. This reminds of the music that we used to listen as a psyche-up before rugby matches and drama performances back in the day.

So, on with the matter at hand.


He came back from home on Thursday to finish off a semester bogged down with a few sorrowful memories. Leaving for home two weeks earlier, little did he know of what was to come. I, being his friend hoped that developments turn favourable towards him. Making haste to board a plane out of Malaysia was the only thing on his mind. His father lies in hospital and diagnosed with two blood clots in his brain. News of this magnitude itself is enough to send shivers down anyone’s spine. The situation was made even more complicated by a protective and caring mother not telling her son all the information. Needless to say, she had the best of intentions towards her son.

Restlessness took its toll and the son decided to return home fearing the inevitable. I too feared the same because none have come out perfectly unscathed in a prior scenario. Before leaving for home his mind was not in the present and neither could he have cared. One could see how he waited so pensive, fidgety, and anxious to leave. I felt his body language saying “Dad, I’m coming now. I’ll be there next to you very soon. I’m coming for you, dad!” He made it back home and things were not looking so bright. Eid was spent in the hospital looking down on his father thinking if he would pull through. He even sent me an sms reminding how my Eid could have eclipsed his thousand times over, and still be much better.

On the second day after Eid, his father’s condition had become complicated and God took his soul. At the time news came I was in Singapore checking ticket prices to go back home. I felt this sense of helplessness and rigidity as never before. The son got the chance to bury his father, which was a blessing in disguise. It was one and half years since he had last been home, and the second time he went was to bury his father. How fickle life is, don’t you think so?

Now, it’s to look ahead and do what is necessary. Time shall extinguish the sorrow in my friend’s heart, and I will do whatever needed to make him better. After all we are mates for better or for worse, and in good times and bad. After his return, he is not the same person I have known for the past 4 years. I pray that God will make it easier for him, Ameen!!

Life is a never-ending cycle; most say it’s like a wheel. Many are the obstacles along the way; potholes, speed bumps, detours, and much more. The wheel adjusts its velocity to these situations accordingly and goes on its way, but it stops for no one.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Innalillah.

My condolences to your friend.

With your help and prayers, he's going to pull through, insya Allah.

As for the rest of us, we can take heed and remember our own mortality and that of those whom we love.

Loner said...

Thank you for the kind words..

I'm doing whatever I can do get him back on track. Making him enjoy himself is one of it and toning down on my sarcasm is challenging :{ anyway, buds stick together through thick and thin so hope we can pull it off together :D thanks