Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Bald Chef

I got to thinking that if there was a cookery show to be hosted by me, not that I'm planning on doing one, what kind of a name would be really catchy. Then it just hit me, and that's what you see as the title. My attributes personified in culinary terms.

I've always loved to eat so learning about it came naturally as well, I think. I have seen some great cooks in my day and almost all of them are women. Ok.....kinda all of them are women. I must say my paternal grand mother stands out. She looked after me as a child and fed me a lot of lovely things. The memories never seem to fade, do they!! Many people say that men are the best cooks, but I say there is nothing like a woman's touch. I believe all the ladies' reading this must be jumping for joy. Do be careful as to not fall off your chair, LOL!!

I started being my mums apprentice and finished my first task. Yes folks, I made roti all by myself. At first, mum had to explain what to do and did all the supervision. No one wants to waste flour in inflation riddled circumstances now, do we?? I did roti the old fashioned way. Measured the flour by a cup, but before that I had to sieve it. Then you add an egg, but my mum told to only use the egg white. She has declared war on the egg yolk because it leads to high cholesterol. Also don't forget the salt, and I used a palm full of salt liquid. The trick to making a good dough rests on how one adds water to it. Too much will spoil it, while too little is not enough. As mum started to knead the dough with her hands, I poured the water, little by little. I told her that I wanted to do it, so there I went. As she taught me the technique, my fingers got accustomed to the routine. Kneading the dough is the most important part from what I learnt. When the dough is soft break it into small balls. Then flatten it by using a rolling a pin. We had a good conversation too.

I: Ma, you remember the time I told you that I wanted to become a chef??
Mum: Yes, of course (laughs). That is not for you.
I: Why??
Mum: There's no prospect except cooking. Even I do that here (note the generation gap). It's good as hobby for men to know cooking. If I get sick or maybe if your wife falls ill you can cook without a problem.
(Inside my head- Don't try to smile too much because if you do the jig is up!! She might know something is up)
If you and your brother learn how to cook, I will not be disappointed that I have no daughter.

Yes sir, that is the motivation this time; to learn how to cook and show mum that we can be equivalent to a non-existent daughter. After rolling out the dough I put each roti in a pan and burnt it. Remember to use a wooden spoon as to not scratch the pan. The entire endeavour was a success. All those folks who haven't made home made roti, eat your heart out!!! As for the roti, I definitely turned and dropped it like its HOT!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol. i like breadmaking too. in fact, im going to start next wk. all the ingredients are bought, i just need to start making them hehe

Loner said...

Naj, this is just the beginning la.. hope to improve and hone my skills courtesy of my mum and aunty. cheers for apprenticing eh ;)