Monday, November 17, 2008

The Silver Badge

One of the things that bapa and I have in common is our Alma mater. My family has a legacy running deep along the annals of history of Royal College, Colombo. I recently got to know that a few of my nephews have entered Royal; a proud third generation. A matter of pride, but nonetheless, a criteria or level of expectation to be surpassed looms ahead. Imagine your father playing rugby, secretary and chairman of the Islamic society (in successive years), captain of the debating team, chairman of the English literary association, and college prefect in his final year. Mind you, I only mentioned a few of his career highlights. The aim is to meet your father's standard or better it, and falling short is not an option. Those whose fathers were not old boys of Royal, thus were spared in having a yard of measurement.

One fine day, bapa took me to the main building of college; my age about 8 years at that time. A building constructed during the British era that stands out in all its splendour reminiscent of its colonial beginnings. The college hall is situated in this building, and along the walls of the hall are portraits hung of previous principals since 1835. Records of various individuals are written above the portraits in terms of prizes won for academic achievements. Along the hallowed portals leading to the college hall one can see portraits of schools teams hung in every possible column. Some of these portraits date back to the early 1950s or even earlier to the era of 19oo. Looking at them filled me with pride all those years in college, and made me feel proud of my schools role in the history of lanka. At the landing, before the pricipal's office there was a board nailed to the wall with the signage 'College Prefects', and bapa pointed to his name on it. Ever since that day, I too wanted my name to to be on par with bapa's or exceed it.

I realised a dream in the final year of my school career. I remember vividly, that day, when the master-in-charge of prefects called out my name as 'Deputy Head Prefect' in the general assembly (a gathering of all students). A very proud moment for me in my life, but nothing was more resounding than bapa shaking my hand and saying "congratulations.....well done." Insignia worn by a Royal prefect is unique, as in the badge is made of silver. No other prefect in the entire island except our wears such a badge. Egoistic as this may sound, it makes ones appointment unique.

I searched for my old badge after returning home. I openend the box and there it was. I took it out of the box and held it in my left hand, and traced the surface from my right. Memories came back in the form of a flash flood, or maybe in the likes of a tidal wave. I looked at it long and hard for a very long time reminding myself of the good times and bad. Gosh!! Those were the day; the best days of my life. Do imagine how the crest would look in silver, ya!!

At that point, it dawned to me that there are only memories for me to hold on to, and sometimes tangible bits and pieces.



2 comments:

Dili said...

Best school there ever was, is and ever will be :)

Loner said...

No doubt about that my chap, none whatsoever!!