Friday, January 23, 2009

Snippets


To the woman in my life- Happy B'day!! Words cannot sum up my appreciation for you and all that you've done for me. I pray that God will grant you the best of places by His side.

Reading 3 chapters for a test wouldn’t sound very daunting because it feels doable. Well, that’s wrong. When one chapter has a minimum of 50 pages, then it starts to get a bit hot under the collar. And there is nothing you can do, but warm the chair for hours on end. By the time I was about to begin the third chapter there was an excess of 60 odd pages more. I thought screw it!! Let’s look at the slides, and take my chances. The point of information overload came about somewhere in the middle of chapter two. Despite a haphazard preparation the exam did turn out well. I know what you’re thinking right now- ‘the same old nerd story.’ Actually, the lecturer made the test quite easy, and it could have been much harder.

Do your feet hurt? That’s because your doing a lot of tawaf inside my mind. The previous just happens to be an ‘Islamic’ pickup line. I had no idea that people were in the process of Islamising pickup lines. I still have to deliver a pickup line to a lady. In all honesty a pickup line is just not my style. It’s too corny I’m quite sure of not using it at all. I’m the kind who is straight forward and tell my intention at the onset. Hats off to Miss. Model for imparting this piece of knowledge.

In an entrepreneurial effort a fellow Sri Lankan has opened a stall in Faruq, but it’s open only for dinner. At present, only one type of dish is being offered in order to see the greater reception. This dude just had to wait until my final semester to open his stall, damn it. Anyway, it’s comforting to know that I can get a taste of home.

Arabic II is going to be a challenge of enormous proportions, and coming colour is definitely not good. I feel like a child who has a learning impairment- seriously; MB shares the same sentiments. The best part is the lecturer uses a lot of Arabic to instruct in class and throws in a few jokes on and off. Apparently, all the women in class seem to understand his joke; at that point both MB and I look at each other totally puzzled. One time he asked me the meaning of an Arabic term to which I replied in the negative. Then he asked me why I don’t know the meaning. WTF!!!!! I mean have people deliberately starting acting dumb or what?? It’s like asking a child in primary to solve a quadratic equation, and making him shit his pants for not knowing it. Fear not lest I will not be scared so easily.

I love how a course this semester –international management- makes me sweat and think in class. The lecturer is a lady who demands conformity to all her rules and always reminding us of her high expectations. She said after the first class –in which she delivers a strongly worded and spine tingling speech- about 19 people dropped the section. I knew about her scare tactic and skipped the first class for no specific reason. In the second class she reminded the remaining few of her expectations. I only said one thing inside my head- bring it on!!! She told my group to do a short presentation about Buddhism. That was like asking Bolt if he really ran the fastest 100m race in history. Coming from a Buddhist country, I can safely say I smoked the entire endeavour, and even gave info on Hinduism. The next three presentations will be graded, but we’re not worried. Hey, if you’re having a forte might as well put it to good use.

When I tell inquisitive people that this is my last semester most break into a gleeful smile about to jump for joy. I have not taken the time to make them see the reality ahead; can’t allocate the time really. It’s like I’m going to win a freakin lottery or something in 4 months. To me it’s an ending of one phase and the start of another more challenging one. Being a student can insulate one from many problems the most important being unemployment. Timing of the financial crisis could not be any better- more on that in a later post.

While typing this post I listened to the following songs, which is in my favourite list: Nothings gona change my love for you by George Benson, I can’t help falling in love by Elvis Presley (he still rocks la), Ya Rasulallah by Sami Yusuf, Worlds greatest by R. Kelly, The long way home by Norah Jones, Stand by me by The Temptations, My Ummah by Sami Yusuf, Drops of Jupiter by Train, No air by Jordan Sparks, Torn by Natalie Imbruglia, Fee by Sami Yusuf, Something about the way you look tonight by Elton John, Kiss from a rose by Seal, I can see clearly now by Marvin Gaye, Water music by Handel & Words by Beegees.



No comments: