Friday, January 02, 2009

Holding on to the hands of time, I don’t want to let go.

All the mates got ready for new years’ eve, and I for obvious reasons, this being my last year in uni. I along with a few others wanted to make it a time to remember because who knows what’s in store for the future. As usual, we planned on going to KLCC to welcome the new year, and then wander off depending on the majority vote.

KLCC was packed to capacity with revellers from all walks of life. Many were over flowing with the party spirit, thus engaging in many activities. We arrived about 30 minutes before midnight. The fountain was in full operation inclusive of colourful lights projected towards the shooting water. I really liked that, very pleasing to watch. Nearing the stroke of midnight people got very anxious- my friends included. Most started to scream their heads off, but I failed to see a point in it. I mean, come on, it’s not like I’m dying to lose my voice or anything!!! A 5 minute display of fire works was without a doubt breath taking. Then it got me thinking as to how many millions would have been spent on it?? Something about the Petronas towers in all its glory makes my insides tingle. I daresay, they tingle a lot. If I could bottle up the beauty of those towers and take it with me, I will not hesitate for a second.

Upon reaching Bukit Bintang (BB), my first images were of a foreigner lying under a car being beat up by a mob. He staggered to his feet; face covered and dripping in blood, and made a dash away from his tormentors. A few from the mob did give a chase, but gave up half way. Few seconds later, a pair of Africans was running for their lives. These were big made chaps, but against a mob they hardly stood any chance. One of our guys had someone bark at him in the local lingo. Coming colour was definitely not good; we turned around not wanting to get beaten to death. As they say.....safety first!!! I couldn’t help thinking that certain locals really despise foreigners. Given my observations and previous experience the atmosphere is turning ominous.

I don’t see the point in spraying people soapy foam from a canister. In my opinion, it’s just a waste of effort, intellect, and not to mention money. I’m proud to say that I didn’t indulge in that worthless activity. I loathe such behaviour depicting humans as being primitive.

Coming back to campus past 2am is a foolish endeavour. A convoy of taxis proceeded towards campus, a total of 3, and I was in the second car. When I arrived near the gate my friends who had gone in the first car were being issued with fines. What did we do then?? Thinking on our feet, we turned the car around stopping at Idaman, not to mention paying double. God bless the restaurants operating 24 hrs, we made a beeline to one named Deen. All the walking had given me an appetite- Maggie goreng and iced Milo is a life saver. We made a surprise appearance at a friends house in Idaman to find out all its inhabitants were wide awake. After all, we needed a place to kill the time until morning. In order to pass time most of us played cards. I must also mention that my team won. It’s the ego, if you know what I mean.

Catching a taxi in the morning and halfway to campus the driver made a sudden swerve making the passenger’s jump- scary shit!! He had fallen asleep at the wheel for a few seconds. Thankfully, nothing life threatening occurred. We arrived in campus at 7am stopping the car at the econ bus stop. A couple already there knew both I and MB, and looked absolutely startled. I bid them a ‘good night’ and went to hit the sack.

Scores of issues, thoughts, ideas, problems were disturbing my cognitive neurons. More on that later, this post is much too long already.

No comments: