Thursday, September 18, 2008

Singapore in 18 hours

What you will need to do the above:
  • A father with a business activity that needs to taken care of, but cant get there.
  • A devoted son who wants to get the job done for the father.
  • A gullible friend who the son knows ready to say "sure, I can come."
We boarded the bus at midnight on Tuesday (16th Sept). This time it did not start in an awry manner like my previous incident - 'one heck of a ride.' The plan was to finish the business deal, do a bit if sightseeing and come back to KL. Entering S'pore at the break of dawn was quite unexpected; the bus driver really did his job well. One thing that impresses anyone entering S'pore is how orderly it is being governed. At dawn, I saw people going about doing there business. A couple of taxi's and cars on the road whizzing here and there.

After getting down at the S'pore bus terminal, we had no idea where we were. Both of us stared at each others faces with blank expressions. My friend (hereafter referred to as Mr. MB, i.e. short of mummy's boy) and I made our way to Mustafa centre by taxi because we were lost. This shopping centre is open 24 hours a day and has everything one could imagine. I wanted to ask if they had forklifts and bulldozers and the back too. Hey, you may never know. We needed a map; there was also a need to freshen up. If I told you that we cleaned up in the men's room of Mustafa centre, would you believe me?? Well, try to picture coming across two guys with faces full of cream, and not to mention cases of contact lenses. A security guard who came into the men's room kept on looking at us. He must have said to himself "eeh, these foreigners!! a crazy lot." Mr. MB and I did not forget to look around the entire shopping centre and get creative while we were at it. Our creative nature will be visible in due course on Facebook, and do have a look.

Haute couture in S'pore is very visible and it was at its peak due to office hours. This did not help since both of us were fasting. But we managed to keep out composure and cool. After all, that's the way we roll. Taking the trains are quite enjoyable because they are more spacious and longer. Mr. MB had never been to the Esplanade or Merlion; thus, I took him there depending on my rusty navigation skills. While there, we tried to take a picture with a cute girl who was running about (we just adore kids la!!!). She must have been a year and few month. Our efforts proved to be futile when the girl started crying as soon as Mr. MB picked her up. Mr. MB needs child skills, no doubt. The heat after about 9am is very unforgiving, and we were unprepared victims. It was so hot and humid that both of us were scurrying for the nearest shelter. Close to midday, we headed for the bank to finish off the transaction. Upon entering the place, cool air circles all around us. I told Mr. MB "you go and finish whatever you have to do. I will just sit near the visitors area." The word 'exhaustion' was clearly an understatement.

We hopped on a bus from S'pore at 1pm, arrived in Pudu Raya by 6pm. On the way back, sleep enveloped me like day giving way to night. I took off my shoes along with my socks and dropped on the seat. Don't worry my feet did not stink!! After coming back to uni, both of us parted ways. I did what any tired, fatigued and exhausted man would be do; that is go to sleep.

No comments: